Friday, September 28, 2012

Homemade Apple Chips

What do you do with a bunch of potatoes, carrots, Swiss chard, beets and apples?  I received all of these with my bi-weekly delivery of organic fruits and veggies through Mile High Organics this week.  I contemplated how I wanted to use up the apples.......apple crisp, apple pie, bread?  I love eating apples, but I didn't want them to go bad before I could go through them all.  Then I came across an article from Huffington Post- fruit and vegetable chip recipes and saw a recipe for homemade apple chips.  Super easy and healthy.  My mind was made up!

The recipe I used was from Leanne Bakes Blog Spiced Apple Chips.  All you need is apples and ground cinnamon/nutmeg.  No added sugar or oils!  Here's the recipe from Leanne.

Ingredients:
  • Any kind of apple, up to you how much (I used about 8 Jonathan apples) 
  • Cinnamon to sprinkle
  • Nutmeg to sprinkle (I didn't use any just because I didn't have any)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 220F, and line two large baking pans with parchment paper.
  2. Using a knife or a mandolin, slice apples as thin as possible. Lay them side by side on a baking sheet, being careful not to overlap.
  3. Gently and carefully sprinkle a thin coating of cinnamon on the chips, and follow with a light dusting of nutmeg.  (Some of mine got a lot of cinnamon......and some not so much.  It's ok if they're not equal!)
  4. Bake for one hour, flip the slices, and bake for one hour more. Place on a wire cooling rack. Chips will crisp up as they cool.

 I also made chips out of the potatoes, carrots and beets.  I am on a roll.  Up next is Swiss chard!
You can make "chips" out of just about any starchy veggie or fruit.  I added some spices to the potatoes and carrots to add some flavor.  I never thought about making apple or beet chips......try something you have not thought of before.  I already used the potato, beet and carrot chips with a butternut squash hummus; it was a delicious combination!




 


No comments:

Post a Comment