Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fruit and Veggie Market

There is a small store right by my building that sells just fruits and vegetables.  I'm not sure of the name (see the picture with the name and you'll understand), and the cashier does not speak much English.  Regardless, it's one of my highlights during the week to go in and stimulate my visual and smelling senses to their fresh fruits and vegetables.  It reminds me of going to the farmer's markets back in the States.  Although most of the produce is not local, it is interesting to see where the produce is from ranging from parts of Asia to Australia, Europe and even the States (in  grocery stores).  Apparently, spinach, pomegranates and walnuts originated in Persia (Iran), and onions are also traced back to originating in the Middle East.  Now of course fruits and vegetables are grown almost all over the globe outside their original habitat. 

Lately I have been on a juicing spree, and so it is convenient to run down to the produce shop and grab some fruit and veggies.  My favorite combination as of late is carrots, apple, orange, ginger and mint leaves.  Yummmm.  This combination helped soothe my stomach when I was sick last week; ginger and mint are great for calming the stomach.

1 comment:

  1. Holly,
    Your juicing concoction sounds amazing and inspires me to get more creative with fruits and vegetables. I miss you and look forward to hearing more about your experience with the food in Kuwait.

    ReplyDelete