Thursday, October 6, 2011

Initial Observations in Kuwait

Well, this is a little late as I have been in Kuwait 3 weeks already, but better late than never.  My desire for this blog is so family and friends around the world can see what's going on in "my world": the dining scene of Kuwait.  Also, I want to get feedback from locals on their thoughts/opinions about certain nutrition/food topics that come up.

So, doing my dietitian work over seas has its perks for sure....part of my job here is actually to taste the food and get familiar with the food preferences of people here (this includes trying new restaurants).  What I've first observed so far is the vast majority of people go out to eat here- A LOT.  There are SOOOOO many restaurants here (fast food, casual, fine dining) and many are chains from the states or Europe.  Also, mayo and sauces are very popular here and get loaded on.  Kuwait actually has the highest rate of obesity in the Arab countries, with an astounding 80% obesity rate according to an Arab Times article.     

My interest is with so many restaurants, which ones have healthy options, and are people eating them?  I know at least some people here are health conscious and probably wanting some healthy options while dining out. Yet, maybe it's like this Huff Post article's title says "Fast Food Health Improvements Don't Really Work Because People Keep Ordering Burgers".  Interesting read.

There are many food blogs in Kuwait rating the newest restaurants.  My take is going to be different in that I don't really care how tasty the greasy fries and saucy burgers are.  I am looking for the healthier/lighter options and seeing how they taste and what they are. 
Thanks for reading this first post....... until next time...... let me know if there's anywhere you think I should go!  


3 comments:

  1. Love reading about how you're doing so far! I've been Facebook stalking you as well...hope you don't mind :) Love you Holly! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly!

    So glad I can read your posts. Food is so cultural, and it will take some adjusting to figure out how to dine light with new menus and staples. I'm curious if you have time to exercise? I've eaten more burgers and fries since meeting my boyfriend in the past 5 months than I have in the last 8 years combined....but thankfully, I still am able to prioritize exercise so at least I'm re-fueling rather than just storing excess calories as fat. I sure do miss you! Please keep the blogs coming!!! Julie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear what you are up to. Hope you are getting settled and meeting some nice people... And finding some good running routes!
    Xoxi
    LAURA

    ReplyDelete